Any dental pain that is bad enough to affect daily functioning or prevent sleep is an emergency, and should be treated immediately. Persons suffering pain to this degree should:– Contact the dentist immediately for an appointment.
- Take Nurofen or another ibuprofen based painkiller. Avoid Nurofen plus or anything with codeine.
- After 3 hours take Panadol or another paracetamol based painkiller.
- Alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol painkillers every three hours.
- Remember, any type of dental pain indicates an underlying problem. All dental problems should be examined immediately by a dentist.
- Early treatment can often prevent minor problems from becoming serious.
- Toothache can be caused by bacteria reaching the roots of the teeth. This causes an abscess inside your tooth that can easily spread to the bone.
- Gum disease can also cause tooth pain, and can also spread to and eat away the bones of your jaw.
- Fractured teeth cause pain if the nerve is exposed. Apart form the excruciating pain it can quickly lead to abscesses that cause further problems.
- Wisdom teeth that do not emerge completely from the surrounding gum are prone to many problems that cause pain and affect surrounding teeth, gums and jawbones. Unlike many dental problems that can be almost totally prevented with correct brushing and flossing, problem wisdom teeth require professional treatment. It is all but impossible to clean a tooth that has not emerges completely from the gum.
If you have any questions about any aspect of general dentistry do not hesitate to call 02 9411 5678